aerial view of the Richmond Hill Rail Yard and Keyfood

Design/Build for Morris Park Diesel Locomotive Shop & Employee Facility

Location: QUEENS, NY


Transforming a Long Island Rail Road maintenance site, originally constructed in 1889, into a new 47,000 SF facility for the maintenance and repair of diesel locomotives.

This Design/Build project highlights multiple disciplines including building, track and utility construction plus extensive site work.

Track work consisted of 15 new turnouts and 9 new tracks plus ballasting for 1 future track. Four tracks enter into the two-level shop portion of the 47,000 SF, pre-engineered building, allowing LIRR personnel to access locomotives for repair, maintenance and cleaning.

The shop includes major industrial equipment capable of full tuck (motor) removal from trains via drop tables, deep pits and round-tables. Additionally the shop is equipped with specified welding stations, a truck washing station and two overhead gantry cranes.

Other features of the facility includes offices, locker rooms, dining facilities and storage for tools and parts. Extensive electrical, mechanical and plumbing work was performed, including dedicated Wayside (train) power stations, gas and electrical heating and waste oil lines.

Utility and sitework around the perimeter of the building included lighting, fire hydrants, oil/water separators, watermain for suppression and a large underground detention basin for runoff water from the northern track ballast and around the new building.

This project was completed by RCC / AMCC – A Joint Venture and the lead designer was AECOM.